Movie Reviews (such as they are)

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Beat That My Heart Skipped

I didn't realize it was a remake until the end -- it's a French take on a 1970s movie called Fingers, which starred Harvey Keitel -- but "serious" film mags like Sight & Sound had been saying glorious things about The Beat That My Heart Skipped, such as it being the best film of 2005, so I thought I should give it a go.

As it happens, it was all right. I liked it, but it wasn't even the best film I've seen in the past week, let alone of a whole year.

The lead actor, Romain Duris, was very good, though, and reminded me initially of Colin Farrell, then, later on, of a Mean Streets-era Robert De Niro. The film is probably worth watching for this guy alone.

Good film, but don't believe the hype. I score this 70 points.

Labels: , ,