Movie Reviews (such as they are)

Friday, December 29, 2006

Down With Love

The Ewan McGregor/Renée Zellweger vehicle Down With Love is a parody of (or tribute to?) the old classic romantic comedies such as Pillow Talk and Indiscreet. And on a certain level it works quite well. Certainly I laughed more than I had expected, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

The problem, though, is that it goes a bit too far in every aspect. As a result, it becomes too silly. Of course, "silly" is key to those old movies, but it feels just a little too forced in a modern flick.

Both of the leads put in good performances, and I'm not a huge fan of either, especially Zellweger. They are ably assisted by the likes of Frasier's Niles Crane himself, David Hyde Pierce, and he is funny enough on his own to keep viewers entertained.

The inevitable reveal/twist towards the end of the movie is just too long-winded and too huge on the silly-o-meter, and it was at that point that I kind of lost interest.

The scores:
Acting: 13
Story: 12
Direction: 12
Enjoyment: 13
Cerebral pleasure: 10
Total: 60