Movie Reviews (such as they are)

Monday, January 08, 2007

Lucky Number Slevin


Anyone who knows me at all knows that I'm a sucker for a Bruce Willis movie. Sure, even before his legendary "serious" acting in films such as Pulp Fiction and 12 Monkeys, I was already something of a fan. Of course, those two films made me feel all the more justified. I think he's a good actor, and sometimes he happens to be in a good film.

Lucky Number Slevin is one such film. It's also one of those films with a pretty stellar cast, so you never really know how it's going to fare. All-star movies have a habit of letting me down. And here we have Willis ably assisted by the likes of Josh Hartnett, Lucy Liu, Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman... Need I go on? Well, I won't, cos I think that's about the lot.

The plot plays like a case of mistaken identity, in the mould of so many classic films, and the characters really draw you in. Sure, at times it perhaps tries a teeny bit too hard and gets a tad too contrived, but such instance are few and should not detract from the overall experience. As things move along -- at a pretty swift pace, I must say -- you will start asking yourself what the fuck is going on. And then you'll start coming up with possible scenarios.

I guess that's the film's weakness, because once the audience susses that everything may not be quite what it seem, they will start guessing outcomes, and then there's the possibility that they'll correctly guess the outcome, lessening the enjoyment at the end. It is the same problem that sort of befell The Usual Suspects.

Enough already. I had a blast watching this film. It made me laugh quite a lot. All the actors are very appealing. There are twists and turns aplenty. I defy you not to enjoy it!

Scores:
Acting: 15
Story: 15
Direction: 15
Enjoyment: 16
Cerebral pleasure: 13
Total: 73

Labels: